To be honest, I have never been much of a donut eater, I am a chocolate/ peanut butter gal, and donuts don't always do it for me. However, there are mornings when I am drinking my coffee that I truly crave a good donut to dunk into my coffee...I grew up with a grandfather that used to do this with his jelly filled donuts and it is such a fond memory for me.
My husband on the other hand is a donut LOVER, and so they donuts where made for him and in honor of my Pop Pop!
Now we don't own a fryer, and I really didn't think Tyler needed a fried donut, so these little babies are baked and they are also paleo friendly and dairy free which is fantastic for me as I tend to try to stay away from dairy unless it is from an amazing source.
1/2 cup of coconut flour ( or 3/3 cup of WW flour)
1/4 cup coconut sugar ( or regular sugar but it needs to be white if using normal granulated sugar)
1/8 cup of flaxseed meal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla or 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
1 tablespoon melted ghee ( or regular butter)
1/2 cup and 2 tbsp. coconut milk or almond milk
1 cup enjoy life chocolate mini chips
1 tsp coconut oil
handful of roasted cocoa nibs or regular chocolate chips
** This recipe will make 12 mini donuts or 6 large donuts
1. Mix together your dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, flaxseed and salt.
2. Add in your wet ingredients; egg whites, vanilla, ghee, milk.
3. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Take a large ziplock bag and fold it over to make makeshift piping bag ( or used regular piping bag) snip off the tip and pipe the "dough" into the donut pan.
** note that you can use a muffin tin and then take a very smaller 1/4 inch circle cutter and cut out the middle once cooled if need be or just make them without holes.
5. Bake for 9 minutes at 350.
6. While the donuts are cooling take your chocolate chips and coconut oil and put into a microwavable safe bowl. Microwave in increments of 30 seconds until fully melted. If you think it is too soupy add a splash of dairy free milk to make it thicker.
7. Once donuts are cooled, dip the donuts into the ganache and then sprinkle with the cocoa nibs or mini chocolate chips.