Last winter, on one of our many snowy days, school was cancelled and I decided to bake! I have perfected my "Healthy Donut" recipe, but after watching Bobby Flays Brunch with Bobby, I was inspired to use a warm liquor in my glaze to warm our insides on that cold day! This recipe was a HIT with everyone! (Do not worry as the actual alcohol content cooks down and you are only left with a beautiful note of bourbon flavor)
1/2 cup of coconut flour
1/4 cup of coconut sugar
1/8 cup of flaxseed
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of melted ghee or coconut oil
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of coconut milk
. Mix the coconut flour, flaxseed, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a stand mixer. Once combined add in your wet ingredients.
2. Mix everything together. Mix until combined but do not over mix as you want the dough to stay firm and not get too runny.
3. Once mixed, take a gallon sized ziplock bag, pour your dough/batter inside and create a makeshift piping bag( or just use a piping bag if you have one). Snip off the end leaving a hole the size of a pea.
4. Take your donut pan, spray it with coconut oil spray, and then pipe your dough into the pan.
5. This batter will make enough for 24 small donuts or 12 normal sized donuts.
** Each miniature donut is 33 calories and each normal sized donut is 66 calories. (Note: this does not include toppings)
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Your donuts will be ready when you stick a toothpick inside and it comes out clean!
7. At this point you can eat these donuts by themselves( which we LOVE to do) Or you can drizzle on the bourbon glaze found below.
1/4 cup of bourbon( the better the bourbon the better the flavor!)
1 tablespoon of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder
1. In a small pot, bring the bourbon to a boil, allowing the alcohol to reduce. Once boiling turn the heat down to medium and add in the honey, vanilla, and arrowroot powder. Mix until combined.
2. drizzle the mixture over your donuts and top with chopped walnuts for an extra crunch and flavor.