I LOVE ice cream.... I mean reallyyyy love ice cream. It's one of those desserts that Tyler and I buy and by the second night the entire container is gone..we are a family of ice cream lovers and we won't apologize!
However, one thing we have learned is that every night that we eat said ice cream, we always end up waking up feeling sluggish and overall gross. Now, we could have gone on a pretended it was just a strange coincidence, but come on...we all know it was the amount of sugar we were consuming and alll of the processed dairy.
It would be great to say that we cut out ice cream cold turkey, but to be really honest, I have been thinking of this recipe for weeks, and I finally planned it perfectly and of course knew it had to include peanut butter and chocolate chips as those are our two favorite things!
Using coconut milk as the base, and then adding a mixture of honey and liquid stevia, allows this recipe to be not only dairy free but also lower in sugar....not completely sugar free but much lower than that of the ice cream you would find at the grocery store and much better tasting than all of the sugar free nonsense that is out there!
A few things to note; I used a Kitchen aid ice cream maker attachment to churn these bad boy and keep it cold but another trick would be to stick it in the pan and just pop in the freezer, taking it out to stir every 20 minutes for the creamier consistency.
Also, make sure you use liquid stevia when adding sweetener, the granular kind will feel and taste gritty in your mouth, NOT what you want when eating ice cream!
1 can of full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup of honey
1 tablespoon of liquid stevia( add in 2 drops to Taste for strength)
a pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder unsweetened
1/2 cup almond milk ( or coconut/cashew milk)
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Add all ingredients except peanut butter and coconut oil into a bowl and whisk together until thicker consistency forms and the mixture has been incorporated.
2. At this point you have two options:
A. Place into your ice cream maker and churn for 20ish minutes
B. Add to your container and freeze for 20 minutes
3. While completing step 2, melt together your peanut butter and coconut oil in a microwavable safe bowl in 30 second increments until smoothly and drizzly.
4. After 10 minutes of churning, add in your peanut butter mixture, if you are using the freezer method do this after 40 minutes in the freezer.
5. Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days and TRY not to eat it all in one night!!