Tyler has been asking for WEEKS for a lemon bar recipe...they are his favorite! I knew this was going to be a challenge since I wanted to minimize the sugar and also make something no bake to minimize the heat in our house!
I looked and wrote down over 20 recipe variations, everything from a lemon jello to a lemon cheesecake as the topping. Then I realized that a no bake custard would give the texture I wanted and needed and also could be turned into a no bake easily with using the stove top for 5 minutes to bring it all together!
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup cashews
10 medjool dates (pitted)
1/4 cup chia seeds
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons gelatin
1/2 cup almond milk
1. Take the almond milk and gelatin and combine in a bowl and let them sit and bloom for about 15 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine the cashews, dates, chia seeds, and water until a ball forms.
4. Take an 8 inch square pan lined with parchment paper and evenly press the mixture into the bottom. Place in the freezer while you make the lemon custard.
4. On the stove top in a medium sauce pan bring the honey, coconut sugar, 4 juiced lemons and the lemon zest to a a combined mixture. ( heat on low/medium)
5. Add in your 4 eggs and keep stirring for about 5 minutes until the mixture starts to slightly boil.
6. Take the mixture off the heat and immediately add in the gelatin and almond milk, stirring together until it becomes thicker.
7. Let it rest in the saucepan for 10 minutes.
8. Take your crust out of the freezer and pour your custard on top. Let the mixture set in the fridge for a minimum of 5 hours. Cut into squares and eat and enjoy or keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.